Friday, June 27, 2014

"Rad Dads" Wear Jewelry


Custom ring; flames and skulls, sterling silver (top/side of ring)
 "Rad Dad" what his 8 year old son referred to him as for his Fathers day poem. After making this custom ring and getting to know him and his family, I'd say I completely agree!  I knew it would be a fun project after meeting and discussing what he was looking for in such a unique piece of jewelry. He and his wife had been to several shops looking for options to replace his simple wedding band. They wanted something that was a little more him for his guitar playing hands but couldn't find anything that they loved or wasn't manufactured with billions more out there for others to wear.

Custom sterling silver hand carved mans ring (bottom)

"Don wore a Costco platinum band for 15 years and 10 months while we shopped for a band more suitable for his style. One plain ring on the left hand while the right rocked some seriously large rings. Kendall designed a custom, one-of-a-kind ring fitting for a "been in a rock-band now in a church-band " guitar-playing, God-loving, software architect with tattoos and earrings!! He wanted Kendall to create a big ring with skulls and flames. Not cheesy, but cool. Black accents and handmade, not done by machine. I couldn't imagine what she would come up with and the final design is amazing! From 18 skulls with faces to the flames and texture, the ring turned out amazing and fits Don's personality perfectly." -Wendy (the equally rad wife)

Sketching and looking at images of flames and skulls... two things I don't normally spend my time doing and certainly different from my style as a designer. I tend to lean more towards "pretty things", natural organic shapes, inspiration from the ocean and objects from nature, movement of the body and feminine beauty. This design posed as a challenge conceptually and technically; depicting flames and skulls realistically in metal without looking cheesy, like a bad tattoo. 

The overall process of researching, sketching and creating something beautiful for a dainty woman or a rugged man proved to be the same. My aesthetic is still evident in this heavy mans ring. The use of texture, the organic movement of the flames and the depth and detail of the skulls are details that are just as evident in much of my previous work. Whether its a pretty butterfly on a flower or a fire breathing dragon you will know they were made by the same two hands. My artistic expression naturally stepped in as my fingers went to work and I am happy to know it was not lost in the fire. 

As an artist it can sometimes be difficult to create something specifically for someone else. I worry that by creating what other people want me to make instead of what I want to make I may lose myself as artist. The artistic freedom and creativity that comes with experimentation, inspiration and ides; never to worry about satisfying a boss, instructor or client. That idea that sounds so appealing when you decide to quit your job or go to art school in the first place. 

Flames; Sterling Silver (Top view)
I realized after this project that creative freedom still exists even when doing a custom design. I do have to satisfy a client but my design, my creativity and my aesthetic will shine through. Not only did they see my previous work and like my style but they wanted ME to create something like it just for them. I was able to express my ideas to them, demonstrate that through sketches, collaborate and make changes we agreed upon. Even experiment, fail, try again and have the creative freedom throughout the process to make something beautiful and enjoyable. I also realized that the boundaries can be pushed in my designs; for some reason I was unsure of my skill set to pull of the details but only showed myself what I am capable of, and more. 

Its nice to know there are still people out there that won't sacrifice personal expression when it comes to their jewelry, especially when it replaces the traditional mainstream wedding band.  Ibelieve this piece truly represents not only his personal style but their unique style as a couple and family. As his new and improved wedding band I'm happy to wish them a Happy Anniversary of 16 years today and I'm honored they can finally celebrate that in style. 
Black patina to highlight texture and depth (bottom view)
(side/bottom view) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts