Wednesday, October 1, 2014

5 a Day Challenge

October 1st.
Today is the day to begin a challenge that I hope will inspire my artistic passion and force me to share it with the world more frequently. I certainly don't have a problem finding creativity. It is literally busting through the seems somedays. My wheels are constantly turning and I am itching to get my hands in the studio. Somedays I don't quite make it there but I am never short of ideas.

Not only am I constantly inspired,but I do have quite a collection of finished pieces that have not had their debut yet. Usually, my custom pieces get the most publicity, because I know at least someone out there loved it. It was designed and made from start to finish with a plan and a purpose and quickly left my hands into someone else's. In a way, this forces me to document the process and the beauty that came from my craft. Distilled in social media as a photo, a process shot, or of the unique person wearing it. But what about all the other beautiful things I have made? If its not for me or someone specific what is it for? Maybe it doesn't need to be for anyone or anything in particular but it at least needs to be shared and hopefully someone will enjoy it as much as I did making it. To show my devotion, my obsession and what I will ultimately leave behind, my craft.

Looking at my studio and all the beautiful trinkets and piles of future projects, unfinished projects and displayed completed pieces it makes me realize what i love and what I need to continue to hold onto in this world and what I need to let go in order to help me grow. The physical, finished pieces, the art itself is important but what I love most is creating it.
Displayed in my studio, for no one to see but me.

To inspire others with the art I make, it needs to be shared. So..today, I am challenging myself to a 5 a Day Challenge. Every day for the month of October I will post 5 pieces to my Etsy shop and share them through all the social media channels. Some will be things I've finished in the past, new pieces, redesigned pieces, jewelry, drawings, or whatever these little hands have created. Along with that I will promise to devote my time to sharing in my experience of creating it. I will write once a week about one or a collection of the pieces.

Never ending trays of projects
This may seem really simple, like not even worth calling a "challenge". To some this is probably accomplished every day for the last 5 years without even thinking. To some, this is easy. To me, its a challenge. We are all made as a unique blend of temperment, giftedness, and life experiences. Something that is simple for you is a giant step for another and vice versa.  I find it much easier to continue making. Moving along quickly from one idea to the next, never hesitant to try something new and always trusting my instinctive creative sense.

This project is an opportunity for me to practice in the context of a personal creative challenge and complete the full circle of my work, and share my gifts with the world and be humbled by my shortcomings.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Popular Posts